Re: bushings and bearings

To: robert williford <RDWILLI@VM.SC.EDU>
Subject: Re: bushings and bearings
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 08:27:04 -0400
robert williford wrote:

>    i'm planning on changing pads, rotors, shoes, amd brake hoses this
> weekend.  while i've got the front hubs off, i'm planning to replace the
> worn a-arm bushings with v-8 bushings.  is this simply a matter of
> supporting the spring pans to compress the springs, removing the
> worn bushings, and installing the new ones?  i can't find a section on
> the procedure either in the haynes or factory workshop manual.  while
> it seems a straightforward job, i'd appreciate any advice on problems
> i may encounter...     (BTW, its a 73 'b)
>    i have also found that the rear axle shaft needs a new seal.  the
> drivers side rear brake assy. is coated with grease, and the wheel
> cylinders aren't leaking--its definately not brake fluid.  how difficult
> is the shaft to remove?  will i be able to remove it and re-install it
> by hand, or is a special tool needed?  i'm planning on having a new
> bearing presssed on as well. again, any advice is appreciated...
> appreciated...
>
> thanks,
> -robert williford
>  1973 MGB

Robert-

I don't think you will be able to replace the bushings with out dropping
the coil springs.  You can accomplish this by using a floor jack to
support the spring pan, while removing the bolts that connect the spring
pan to the lower A-Arms.  Jack the car up, put it on jack stands, then
move your jack under the spring pan.  You want a small amount of
pressure on the springs (to hold the jack in place).  After removing the
sway bar link and three remaining bolts, you can carefully lower the
jack, and drop the pan/spring.  At this point you can easily remove the
lower A-Arms, and replace the bushings.

Regards,

Chris Delling