Re: bushings and bearings

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: bushings and bearings
From: Alan Lott <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 15:37:08 -0500
>Is it really safe to put a jack under the spring pan while working on the
>bushings? I have also read messages that talk about a clamp to hold the
>springs...
>
>I guess I have visions of this huge spring doing something ugly to someone
>under the car if it decided to get a bit cattawampus while the jack was on
>it...

A valid point. While installing GT coil springs in a 1969 Mustang (many
years ago), I had a coil spring compressor break (the hook part fractured)
and the beast (the spring) clipped me in the knee on it's way to the far
recesses of the garage. It only takes once to understand how dangerous coil
springs can be, even with the right equipment. To this day, my knee is not
the same. Please, use care.

Regards,

Alan Lott
GTA Dept of RSE
Auburn University

'71 MGB (rolling restoration)

"Diplomacy is the ability to let other people have things your way."