Re: bushings and bearings

To: "Christopher M. Delling" <saschris@flash.net>
Subject: Re: bushings and bearings
From: Carol <car@texas.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 10:27:29 -0500
Hi, Chris (and other inquiring eyes...)!

I have a simple question, since I'm sort of a safety nut... well, maybe
just a nut.... maybe just simple . .. but anyway...

Is it really safe to put a jack under the spring pan while working on the
bushings? I have also read messages that talk about a clamp to hold the
springs...

I guess I have visions of this huge spring doing something ugly to someone
under the car if it decided to get a bit cattawampus while the jack was on
it...

???

Carol

At 08:27 AM 8/7/97 -0400, Christopher M. Delling wrote:
>robert williford wrote:
>>
>>    i'm planning on changing pads, rotors, shoes, amd brake hoses this
>> weekend.  while i've got the front hubs off, i'm planning to replace the
>> worn a-arm bushings with v-8 bushings.  is this simply a matter of
>> supporting the spring pans to compress the springs, removing the
>> worn bushings, and installing the new ones?  i can't find a section on
>> the procedure either in the haynes or factory workshop manual.  while
>> it seems a straightforward job, i'd appreciate any advice on problems
>> i may encounter...     (BTW, its a 73 'b)
>>    i have also found that the rear axle shaft needs a new seal.  the
>> drivers side rear brake assy. is coated with grease, and the wheel
>> cylinders aren't leaking--its definately not brake fluid.  how difficult
>> is the shaft to remove?  will i be able to remove it and re-install it
>> by hand, or is a special tool needed?  i'm planning on having a new
>> bearing presssed on as well. again, any advice is appreciated...
>> appreciated...
>>
>> thanks,
>> -robert williford
>>  1973 MGB
>

>Robert-
>
>I don't think you will be able to replace the bushings with out dropping
>the coil springs.  You can accomplish this by using a floor jack to
>support the spring pan, while removing the bolts that connect the spring
>pan to the lower A-Arms.  Jack the car up, put it on jack stands, then
>move your jack under the spring pan.  You want a small amount of
>pressure on the springs (to hold the jack in place).  After removing the
>sway bar link and three remaining bolts, you can carefully lower the
>jack, and drop the pan/spring.  At this point you can easily remove the
>lower A-Arms, and replace the bushings.
>
>Regards,
>
>Chris Delling

As you approach life's curves, never brake and always leave skid marks!