Re: Midget Runs, then dies....Continued

To: "David E. Brown" <debrown@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Midget Runs, then dies....Continued
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 1997 22:42:04 -0500
David E. Brown wrote:

> Hello all,
> And thank you very much to everyone who sent suggestions!  The problem
> is still unsolved, but definitely is electrical in nature. To reiterate:
>
> Turn Key, result: Car will *run* as long as starter is on, that is, key
> in the III position.  Turn it back to the II or run position, car dies..
> I went through the ignition switch and wiring diagram, but without
> success. Fuel system appears to be working normally.

David -
        I don't have a Midget wiring diagram, but if the Midge is like the 'B,
then here's something to check:
Put a meter or test light on the + side of the coil (the wire not
connected to the distributor).  It should light when the key is in the
II or run position.  If not, and it does light when in the crank (III)
position, then there is the problem.  There should be two white/light
green wires on the + terminal.  One is connected to a ballast resistor
or a section of 'resistive wire'.  The other white/light green wire
connects from the starter solenoid.  The coil runs a voltage reduced by
the ballast resistor, but that part is bypassed in the crank mode by the
starter solenoid, giving more voltage to the coil and a hotter spark for
starting.  I would suspect that the ballast device is open.  The other
possibility is the ignition switch relay or even the ignition switch, as
that would supply the voltage to the end of the ballast that is not
connected to the white/light green wire.
        This would be easier if you can find a wiring diagram for your model of
car - hope this helps!

Wayne Kube
'79 B
Plano, TX