air pump

To: mg list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: air pump
From: Lynn Alan Eubank <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 07:57:29 -0500 (CDT)
I just read the post on air pumps. It is quite true that air pumps are not
there just to dilute what comes out of the combustion chamber. Another
test: On a car that is set up with air pump, try blocking it off without
readjusting the carb. What you get is backfire every time you let off
the gas. For obvious reasons, huh?

Now a question about these pesky air pumps. The original design is the
most bizarre thing I ever saw. Well, let me put that differently: I SURE
wasn't expecting what is inside those suckers. What's worse, they don't
appear to be the most reliable machines, in my experience. (Note that I
think MGs are quite reliable cars, too.) At any rate, so now my most
recent air pump is starting to make a good deal of noise. And in the most
recent Moss sendout -- which my wife recycled -- I seem to recall a new
air pump, one of a different manufacture. Can somebody check? I'd be
tempted to get one of these types rather than spending another bundle on a
rebuild of a poor design ...

later,
Lynn Eubank
eubank@unt.edu