Re: air pump

To: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Subject: Re: air pump
From: Lynn Alan Eubank <eubank@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:44:55 -0500 (CDT)
On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, John J. Peloquin wrote:

> Dear Netters,
>
> I must have missed the post on air pumps. The backfire as I let off the
> gas is about the only irritating habit my MGB-GT has. If it is the
> airpump, how do I go about fixing it? Additionally, where is a good
> place to get parts. I am partial to Northwest Imports in Oregon.

Ah, well, the original post, which I redirected with a new subject line,
was about, ah, emissions? Anyway, the definitive test of the air pump is
if it pumps air. (Note that not a whole lot of air comes out, btw.) Unhook
it and see. Now, if that works, you could still have other problems. Air
from the pump feeds directly into the exhaust in the head and, via a valve
that opens upon deceleration, into the the intake manifold in the head.
Potential other problems are thus (i) that the feed lines to the exhaust
in the head are stopped up with exhaust soot (they were on our MG when we
bought it); or (ii) that the vacuum-operated value that sends air to the
intake is dead;  or (iii) that the hoses are leaking.

Parts? There are some folks around who rebuild these things. Personally,
I'd take the pump apart first and see what ails it. One of mine just
needed a good deal of cleaning and a few dabs of lithium; it lasted over
two years longer before it's final death. I don't know if anybody who
supplies internal, individual parts for these things, though.

Good luck,
Lynn Eubank
eubank@unt.edu