Frozen brake slave cylinders

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Frozen brake slave cylinders
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 16:12:59 -0500
Here's a tough one:-

I've got 12 brake slave cylinders from two MGTD's.  They are ALL rusted
so that the pistons are frozen in the cylinders.  I have tried EVERYTHING
to get these things apart, including:  WD-40, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster
and molasses (don't ask).  They are still frozen solid.

My next step is to get out the blue wrench (propane torch).  Since the
cylinders are aluminum and the pistons are steel, I expect that they will
expand at different rates when heated.  Hopefully, they will release if
the aluminum expands more that the steel.

Are my assumptions correct?  Does aluminum expand more that steel when
heated?  Am I in danger of splitting or otherwise damaging the cylinders
by doing this?  Anybody got any better ideas?

David Littlefield
Houston, TX