Re: Frozen brake slave cylinders

To: MGS@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Frozen brake slave cylinders
From: Str64@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 13:14:13 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 8 Sep 1997 16:12:59 -0500David Littlefield (dmeadow@juno.com)
writes:

>..... brake slave cylinders from two MGTD's.  They are ALL rusted so
that the pistons are frozen in the cylinders.  I have tried EVERYTHING to
get these things apart, including:  WD-40, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster and
molasses (don't ask).  They are still frozen solid.

>My next step is to get out the blue wrench (propane torch).  Since the
cylinders are aluminum and the pistons are steel, I expect that they will
expand at different rates when heated.  Hopefully, they will release if
the aluminum expands more that the steel.

>Are my assumptions correct?  Does aluminum expand more that steel when
heated?  Am I in danger of splitting or otherwise damaging the cylinders
by doing this?  Anybody got any better ideas?

Would the blue wrench not cause some warpage in the cylinders???

Scott
71' MGB