Re: Frozen brake slave cylinders

To: dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: Frozen brake slave cylinders
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 21:30:21 +0000
> Here's a tough one:-
>
> I've got 12 brake slave cylinders from two MGTD's.  They are ALL rusted
> so that the pistons are frozen in the cylinders.  I have tried EVERYTHING
> to get these things apart, including:  WD-40, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster
> and molasses (don't ask).  They are still frozen solid.
>
> My next step is to get out the blue wrench (propane torch).  Since the
> cylinders are aluminum and the pistons are steel, I expect that they will
> expand at different rates when heated.  Hopefully, they will release if
> the aluminum expands more that the steel.
>
> Are my assumptions correct?  Does aluminum expand more that steel when
> heated?  Am I in danger of splitting or otherwise damaging the cylinders
> by doing this?  Anybody got any better ideas?
>
> David Littlefield
> Houston, TX

David,
        Well, you've got a dozen of them, so you're in a better position to
experiment than most of us.  I think Aluminum does expand more than
steel, but I sold back all of my materials texts, so I can't tell you
for certain.  Let us know what you find out.  As another possibility,
have you tried Naval jelly on them to positively dissolve the rust?
I don't know what effects phosphoric acid may have on aluminum, so
read the label first.  You might want to thin out the jelly first, as
well.

Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner