Re: LBC Safety

To: Mike Hartley <mganut@accucomm.net>
Subject: Re: LBC Safety
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 23:50:23 -0700
Hello to all,
        Ever since I was young, I always wore my seatbelt.  I can say that on a
certain December night, it probably saved my life, and the life of my
passenger.
        I was home on winter break, and my friend and I decided to be "cool"
and put
the top down, heater up and cruise the streets of PA in my '77B.  We came to a
stop
light, and I decided to race a Saturn.  I was winning when i hit an ice patch,
spun
the rear wheels, and when they hit the pavement again, the car was launched
into a
streetlamp pole.  When the dust settled, I realized that the pole was right
about
where the engine should be.  I had broken ribs, due to my impact with the
steering
wheel, which broke from the impact!  My passenger was OK, but being 6' 4", he
hit his
head off of the top of the windshield.  This accident was at 38mph.  The police
said
that without belts, we would have been able to examine the windshield very
closely.
The car was totalled, I was distraught, but I was also alive, along with my
co-pilot.
        Ever since, I REQUIRE any passengers in any of my vehicles to wear the
belt.
 I'd hate to live after an accident knowing that my passenger could also be
alive if
they wore a seat belt.

--
Michael S. Lishego