Re: LBC Safety

To: bearlock@erols.com
Subject: Re: LBC Safety
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 23:41:42 EDT
On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 14:00:25 -0400 Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
writes:
>Trevor Boicey wrote:
>>
>> Bob De Weese wrote:
>> > If I'm sitting at a light and I see a (insert huge vehicle of
>choice,
>> > here), bearing down in my rear view mirror, I think it would be a
>lot
>> > easier to "bail" if I wasn't wearing a seatbelt.
>>
>>   Well, bailing is of limited use unless you can get far
>> away from the vehicle as well.
>

>"Fear" is an extremely inspirational motivator.
>

>>   Who wants to be standing 10 feet from the scene of a
>> tractor trailer destroying an MG? Might be safer in
>> the car.
>

>A tractor trailer?!   It would roll over a B like a speed-bump.
>

>> > barreling down I-95 and "shit happens" am I better off riding it
>out
>> > along with the car, or would I be better off getting "spit out"
>_before_
>> > the car hits the tree?.
>>
>>   I can't think of any situation where being airborne
>> at highway speed is better than... well... anything.
>
>On the contrary.  There have been many, many instances of accidents
>where eveyone involved was killed except those who were "thrown clear"
>

>Bobby

Bob,
  That was the thinking that for years kept seat belt/harnesss out of
Formula cars.  Unfortunatly, it cost the lives of several drivers before
the point was driven home, namely that all things considered, the odds of
survival in a crash are infinetly greater if the driver is restrained
within the confines of the body.
 Today, no sane formula driver would even consider getting into a car,
racing or street, without strapping him(her)self in.
 Likewise, no non-formula car driver  should consider not buckling up.
 If you want to gamble, go to Vegas, or Atlantic City.  You only loose
your money there - not your life.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget