Re: MGA, where do I strip.

To: RCR293@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGA, where do I strip.
From: StanFischer <StanFischer@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 19:53:19 +0000
Ross MacPherson wrote:

> At 10:27 PM 9/16/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
>  Rather than sand these down  I
> >thought I might send them to be stripped.  BUT, I can't seem to find a place
> >that will do the stripping.  So my question:
> >  Does anyone know of a chemical stripping outfit within about 3 hours of
> >Columbia, S.C.?  Atlanta maybe?  Charlotte?
> >

> Rob,
>
> If you're a "hands-on" kind of guy consider DIY chemical stripping.  I
> stripped the bonnet of my TC three years ago with a 4l jug of Aircraft
> Finish Remover.  I don't have the container at home right now but it's still
> not empty.

Rob, I'd be very careful before using aircraft stripper on the body of
my MGA.  I've had excellent results removing the paint from my MGA via
a   professional chemical stripper (Metastrip in Mt Juliet, Tenn,
outside Nashville).  They use a harmless caustic soda solution which not
only gets into every nook, cranny, seam and joint but more importantly
gets out of every nook cranny, seam and joint before the paint goes on.
I've had no paint adhesion, cracking, bubbling or leeching problems at
all.  Several people I know have experienced the above problems with
aircraft stripper.  Save the aircraft stripper for the engine block,
suspension parts or other less noticable areas just to be safe.
Just my humble opinion

Stan Fischer        58,59, 62 MGAs