Re: Garage Layouts

To: Phil@8.medpower.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Garage Layouts
From: SHedman123@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 12:22:34 -0400 (EDT)
The "Midget" garage is in reality Mr. Midgets, at least for another 4 years.
It seems that one of the conditions of his divorce was that he gets use of
the garage for 8 years. After seeing the place I can see why.
30x24, 9ft ceilings on the first floor, 7ft in the attic, a large cutout in
the ceiling for a lift. Walls are 2x6 -16"oc. joists are 2x12 - 16"oc, no
windows but from the outside going inward--- cedar siding (primed and painted
on both sides, celotex,  5/8" plywood, and between the studs fiberglass
insulation and razor wire (hehehe), 100 amp service (wishes he had 200
though), a between the studs gas heater with duct work,3 phone lines- phone/
fax/ data that his ex disconneted, 2 gfi circuits for 'puter and stereo, a
tv/vcr combo with cable (good for "training tapes"), some "Mills Pride" Bianco
 storage units from Home Depot, a work bench that can hold a car I think (6x6
legs, 3" top), a trolly system that enables you to pull an engine and slide
it over to the side (cheaper and more useful than a engine hoist), an
"interesting" security system, and-- when pouring the foundation, he had the
people pour a 10x7 "pad" next to and attached to the foundation (he buired it
in dirt when the building inspectors came by -- zoning problems you see) to
house an air compressor and a blasting cabinet-- noisey and dirty-- vented to
the outside for air circulation. The cost was about 10-12K, but by
contracting it himself and buying the lumber he saved a BUNCH of moola. And
by being the tightest bastard on the planet he managed to get a lot of the
inside materials free/used/cheap. Got a 15hp Quincy 120 gallon remote tank
compressor for $650. it was built in the early 60s, seperate service for 3ph
was needed but oh how fast those blasting jobs go. Compressor sits on the pad
while the tank is tucked in the corner upstairs.
There is usually enough "overruns" on large building sites to supply the
materials for a complete home garage. You have to wait until the project is
finished but that's no problem in Chicago with so much building going on.
Also check the "clearence" items at Sears, wander the aisles at Home Depot,
look for "Trading Times" etc. You'll get a better shop at a MUCH better
price. But it does take time.
If you need specific details, email us and we'll be glad to help.

"Midget" Susan and Mr. Midget
<wishing our home was as well "furnished">