RE: MGA 1600MKII

To: <"mgtd51@shell1.shore.net"@shore.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: MGA 1600MKII
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 1997 21:43:58 -0400
Larry Swift wrote:

> I just finished a frameoff restoration of a 1951 MGTD; took about 6
> years working weekends.  Looks pretty good, so I decided to get
> involved in a real challenge.  Bought a 1961 MGA MkII in pieces;
> a body and most of the running gear, a 1622 engine, proper
> transmission, etc.

Congrats ...

> My questions.  I believe the MkII came with front disk brakes.
> This onehas drum brakes on front.  Perchances, did any of these
> cars come with drum brakes.

Yes ... the MGA 1500

> If so, would it make sense to convert to disks, or are the drum
> brakes sufficient.  Originality is important to me, but getting the
> car on the road as a daily driver at a reasonable cost is more
> important.

The front disc brakes, fitted to the 1600 and 1600 MkII, are an
improvement over the drum brakes ... that said, Barney Gaylord's
'58 MGA 1500, "with an Attitude", does quite well at all the autocross
events ... hmmm, on second thought Barney probably doesn't use
the brakes much ... ;^)

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII