Re: Re: Workshop Manual Instructions

To: macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu, owner-mgs@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Re: Workshop Manual Instructions
From: DGeis@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 1997 00:14:39 -0400 (EDT)
I inadvertently deleted the original message on this thread so I am replying
through this post.  If it double posts I'm sorry.  Us OF's probably never
will get the complete hang of computers.  At any rate:

Larry Macy wrote:
>I have just checked the Haynes and the factory manual and I find no
>reference to this either. I worked as a mechanic for several years (in my
>20's am now an OF) on both automotive and industrial engines and this is
>new to me. I understand the idea of sintered bronze vs. brass but I have
>never heard of soaking the bushing in oil prior to this discussion. I
>think it is a good idea - just that I had never heard it before.

The subject rang a bell.  In the factory manual for the TD in the chapter
about the dynamo (generator) is the following:  "Before fitting the new
bearing bush it should be allowed to stand completely immersed for
twenty-four hours in thin engine oil to Ref. F (20W).  This will allow the
pores of the bush to be filled with lubricant."  Hope this is pertinent.

Daveg.