Re: Not Again!!!!! MGB disaster

To: "Tyson Sherman" <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: Not Again!!!!! MGB disaster
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 23:53:17 +0000

> Scott,
> Note that I've been having pressure problems.  It's a little
> low at warm idle.  The stock spring relieves pressure at
> 75lbs.  With a high flow pump and uprated spring you
> should be getting more, I would suspect.
> I tested mine w/a different gauge and it said the same as
> the Smiths.
> My pressure is 70lbs cold running (@3000)
> 30-50 lbs cold idle
> 55-60lbs warm (N) running (@3000)
> 15lbs warm idle
>
> So all is not well in my world either.  The packing piece
> for the stock spring is in the works for me, or else
> a new spring.  Good luck with yours, back at the shop :(
>
> Tyson
Tyson,
        If my gauge is reading correctly, my "uprated" spring is relieving
itself at about 55 psi.  Sometimes when I accelerate, the gauge will
swing up to about 60 and then snap back down to about 55.  I've even
had it oscillate back and forth at idle under just the right
conditions.  Also, my pressure is NEVER above 55, even right after
starting up on a chilly morning.  It hasn't been below 45 F since I
got the engine back, so I can't vouch for a true "cold start".
        I'm running Castrol GTX 20w-50 in mine.  How about you?  I've had
two different oil filters in.  The last failure was with a Deutsh
filter, and the one today was with a Purolator.  Both times, I had
just changed the oil the day before, in anticipation of a long trip.
Maybe I need to stop changing my oil.. ;)
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner