Re: Not Again!!!!! MGB disaster

To: mgb.roadster@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Subject: Re: Not Again!!!!! MGB disaster
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 00:32:31 +0000
> Oh man, sorry to hear about your engine troubles Scott.
>
> On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:42:51 +0000 "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>
> writes:
>
> >Now for the fun question--Is this a fluke, or is my engine eating main
> bearings?
>
> Not a fluke.  Either the machine shop screwed up, the mechanic
> (rebuilder) screwed up, or you got some bad parts.  My guess is no one
> paid enough attention to the crank.  Did they replace or turn the crank?
> I am assuming they replaced the oil pump.  Did they clean the oil cooler
> and oil lines?
>
> >The only thing I can think of is I have a pretty bad suspension shimmy
> at 70mph.  Can enough vibration be >transferred to the crank from the
> driveline via the clutch to overload the main
> >bearings?  I wouldn't think so, but the last time the bearings went,
> >my wife had just pulled onto the highway about 10 miles previous, and
> >the situation was pretty much the same.
>
> I think you answered your own question "I wouldn't think so".
>
> >The knocking was a lot louder this time, though.     Can anybody else
> think of what can cause
> >engine bearings to repeatedly fail?
>
> I would guess the first failure and the second failure are related only
> if the rebuilder did not replace the part(s) that caused, or were damaged
> by, the first failure (Jeez, that sounds like something my lawyer would
> write).  When they tear it apart *you* need to take a look at the
> bearings and the crank.  Ask them about the oil cooler (I assume your car
> is equiped with one).
>
> As for your warranty, I would think that an engine with 1200 miles ought
> to have parts and labor covered.
>
> Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
> Denver, CO USA
> 1969 MGB Roadster
> 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas
> ===============================
  I looked at the bearings from the last rebuild.  I even saved them,
since they were so hammered.  They make a great conversation piece.
        The crank was turned to .020 under (.010 previously). The oil cooler
and lines were flushed out with mineral spirits.  The oil pump was
replaced with the high-flow model from VB.
        One thing that makes me wonder-- When the block and crank came back
from the machinist's shop the first time, the mechanic bolted it in,
and it wouldn't even turn!  So evidently the machinist has screwed up
the line boring and/or crank turning process once already.  Maybe
they're not the most competent fellows in the world.  Hopefully, the
mechanic won't have to take the parts back to the same place under
warranty.  I'd be willing to pay to have the crank checked/turned
someplace else if it comes down to it.
Thanks for the good wishes--I'll keep the list posted.
Scott