Re: Newbie

To: Tyson Sherman <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:27:59 -0400
Tyson Sherman wrote:
> However, for your first book you should get the
> Haynes manual, I think.  It is about $16 compared
> to $40 for the Bentley manual.  The Haynes is
> easier for DIYers but the Bentley is factory.
> The Bentley manual assumes you know how to do
> many things (it is for dealership mechanics after
> all) and the Haynes is more for the individual.

  I'd take the shop (Bentley) manual anyday. The
Haynes manual crams too much into too few pages. A
typical example is the Midget manual which covers
four decades. Too many times it says "early types
shown, later similar" or "typical shown, may vary
from year to year".

  I don't know about you, but I feel a lot better
doing a job after seeing the exact job done.

  Another main advantage to the shop manual is that
it has "jobs". Haynes manuals seem to be able stripping
everything down to parts and putting it back together.

  An example of this is changing a broken choke
cable. It's a fairly straightforward job, but nice
to have some manual support to make sure the job
is done right.

  The Haynes manual shows you how to strip a whole
carb, and you sort of guess the parts that are required
to just change the choke cable.

  The shop manual has "job #12345678, changing choke
cable, do this, then this, then this, then this, it's
done".

  The shop manual is also essential when it comes
to emissions, it details yearly and regional changes
properly. The Haynes manual just shows a picture
with the parts labelled, and it covers a whole range
of years so it's not exactly right for many cars.

  YMMV.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada