Re: Tubeless tires on TD wheels?

To: drake@direct.ca, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tubeless tires on TD wheels?
From: JMerz140@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 1997 16:42:19 -0400 (EDT)
Len, Bud and Bob,
The incident Len cited is exactly what was identified to me long ago as being
the problem with not installing tubes on our TD wheels.  As the force of the
abrupt turn pushes the tire bead toward the centerline of the wheel, the air
is dumped the same as in the case of a blowout and away you go!   The tube,
as I understand it, doesn't actually keep the tire on the rim but it helps
restore the bead to its normal position on the wheel as the wheel revolves.
 This restorative action is enough to retain the tire where it belongs.  Now
I I've spouted off everything I think I know about the subject.  From the
standpoint of safety, the reason for the tubes is not that you plan to make
hard turns, it's for the unexpected occasion when you have to do the maneuver
to stay out of other troubles.
As for the safety rim, as best I remember, the "safety rim wheel" was first
touted by Chrysler products back in the 40s maybe the later 30s.  I have no
idea what the physical characteristics of the improved wheel was but I
imagine it was some sort of a retention bump on the bead seating area.  Maybe
somebody out there knows or remembers more details but I think the safety
wheel preceded the tubeless tire by many, many years.  My turn to get off the
soapbox.   Jim