Re: tree huggers

To: "Christopher G. Moog" <cgmoog@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: tree huggers
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 07:57:42 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Chris,

Well said.
On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Christopher G. Moog wrote:
Stuff snipped off.

  All these ideas make sense to me as long as
=%Ono one is forced to sell their car or close their factory (as the laws are
=%Ocurrently written - and don't start in with the camel in the tent stuff) just
=%Okeep them from unduly dirtying the air.

=%O
=%OThat said, some factions in the environmental movement are just concerned
about
=%Ocontrolling others lives and unfortunately these radicals are the ones the
news
=%Omedia covers (the others are not nearly as newsworthy) so many think all

Yeah, everyone wants to see wild-eyed Rasputin types on the news, they are
good for ratings.

=%Oenvironmentalist are from the tree hugger school.

=%OI myself don't like political labels since no one agrees with all of the
=%Opolicies of any party nor is any group consistent in its policies.

Boy is that ever true- and it's good to remind people of that fact.

BTW, what about the Land Speed Record!? I saw pictures of that British Jet
Car- I don't know if the driver is crazy or brave or both.

I wonder how the wheels avoid being vaporized during the runs by
contact with tiny irregularities in the salt flats. Seems to me that the
need for friction to maintain control would conflict catastrophicly with
the need to avoid damage to the running gear at supersonic speed!

Anyone out there have any analysis or details on that paradox?

If Ray G. were here, I'm sure he would have had something to say.

=%O
=%OBack to MGs
=%O
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II