engine considerations

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: engine considerations
From: ninab@scoresheet.com (Nina Barton)
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 21:51:27 -0700
Well, I thought I had an ignition problem, but after investigating, it
turned out to be a blown head gasket.  While assisting in replacing the
gasket, we ascertained that the block had cracks between #3 and #4
cylinders.  When I first joined this list, I asked about rebuilding the
block, and fair prices.  I met some very nice people who have since taught
me a lot about maintaining and servicing my car.  Since then, I have fallen
deeper into the pit of enthusiasm, and am now looking into rebuilding (or
at least assisting in rebuilding) a short block or complete engine, and
then swapping out the cracked one in my car.  The car is a 71 BGT, but
since SB 42 passed, I don't need to worry about smog equipment any more!!!
I know that Barney wrote a piece last year on engine balancing, but I seem
to have lost it.  Did anyone keep this piece, and could you send it to me,
or give me some tips on engine balancing and blueprinting.  I would greatly
appreciate it.  Also, any pointers on what to look for in a rebuildable
engine would be nice.  Thanks in advance,  Nina