Re: MG Mistique

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MG Mistique
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 28 Oct 1997 10:23:54 -0600
In <Pine.SUN.3.96.971027190300.12672C-100000@freenet.buffalo.edu>, Art
Pfenninger wrote:
>       I read some where recently that it can be done by putting a metal
>rod inside the splined hub letting the end extend a little. Then put the
>knock off back on and hammer it with the knoch off hammer. The result is
>that you force the spline off the axle. The factory tool looks like a pipe
>cap with a threaded rod in the middle. You screw the cap on and turn the
>center screw. At one time I made one of these by welding a nut to the top
>of an old knock off. It worked on the same principle, screw on the knock
>off and then turn the threaded rod applying pressure like a gear puller in
>reverse. You do need to remove the nut inside. You also have to put the
>bearings in the hub and not on the spindle when re-assembling the hub.
>....Art

With an MGA, there is no nut and the spline must be moved about three
inches.  This can't be done with the knockoff cap unless you have a
graduated set of "pushers".

The other half is that Installing the axle most definitely requires a
large press.

The deal here is that MGAs _don't_ have a nut holding the axle on, the
press-fit is all there is, so it's a stout one...

                        A. B. Bonds