Re: Installing an MGB motor in an MGA

To: murphys-law@worldnet.att.net, owner-mgs@Autox.Team.Net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Installing an MGB motor in an MGA
From: MGSMGBGT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 11:25:46 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 10/27/97 12:29:13 AM, murphys-law@worldnet.att.net (john w
murphy) wrote:

<<I'm planning on putting an 1968 MGB 5 main motor in my 1959
MGA roadster. I'll be keeping the MGA transmission, but using
an MGB clutch.
I want to install headers but I am not sure what combination
of headers and exhaust would be best/possible for the conversion.
If anyone has done this conversion before can they suggest
some header/exhaust combinations that will fit.
Thanks,John (Duxbury,MA)>>

I am in the process of finishing up my '57 with a 69 B engine, a 72 B rear
end and a '74 B transmission.  It was a fairly simple conversion using a rear
engine mount designed by industrial machine here in Lincoln.  (They make
bison basketball equipment and the rotating signs that you see in most major
sports arenas these days).
        But if you want to keep the original transmission, you will need the
following.  1. flywheel from a '66B so it will line up with the starter;  2.
 Pressure plate from an A because the B pressure plate will not match the
input shaft splines on an A.    You will also need a thicker crank bushing to
match the smaller input shaft on an A transmission.  That bushing is
available from Moss, and if you call they will know what you are talking
about.  Also, use the header for an A that Moss sells.  B headers will not
clear the steering gear.  Use the A starter.  You will need a tach from an
early 5 main engine B, because there is no mechanical drive on a 5 main
engine.  With the extra power you will be developing, consider using a B rear
end to reduce your gearing to 3.90 final drive.  Your car will be much faster
anyway, and you will like the increased driveability if ever you travel with
it.