Re: Redline Water Wetter (Singing praises of,)

To: Nory@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Redline Water Wetter (Singing praises of,)
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 14:54:56 EST
Hi Nory,
 According to Moss, the stuff allows the heat to move from the water to
the radiator metal faster....
  I don't know the chemistry of this at all, so would appreciate an
explanation myself.
  Thanks to encouragement by Larry Hoy, I got a load of literature from
filter manufacturers and have started reading.  One of the things I read
last night was about antifreeze for truck engines.  Apparently it's
possible for antifreeze of certain types to either create or supress
water bubbles that form in the coolant along the cylinder liners. (Big
diesels use wet liners)  When these bubbles collapse, there is a
cavitation action that takes apart the iron of the liner. They showed a
series of pics from tests done in Caterpillars and these showed pitting.
The folks who prepared the literature I was reading seemed to feel that
holes in the cylinder liners were not a good thing, and recommend that
one use their product to avoid the problem.
 They also mentioned "heat transfer rate" as though it was something that
we would understand.  I didn't, but I don't put 18 -30 quarts of Prestone
into the system of the MG either.
  Another thing mentioned was that excess silicate in the AF, and here
they specifically referred to automotive-type AF, would gel up in some
passages and block the system, necessitating the use of an alkaline
cleaner to get it out.
  While this all was directed at the massive engines used in trucks, it
was interesting.
  Oh, my buddy who supplied it to me, when I asked at what intervals
valves were ground on Cats, Detroits and Cummins laughed at me. They
don't even take the heads off before 500,000 miles, and then only if the
oil tests indicate some sickness inside the engine.
  If I were 25 years younger I would have said Like Wow!FarOut!
Outtasight!
Bob