Re: Paint Selection

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Paint Selection
From: skillman@clark.net (Robert Skillman)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 22:24:52 -0400
> I  am  getting ready to have my TD painted . I am considering  acrylic
>enamel but some  people suggest using the new two part paints claiming they
>have more durability but others say that the paint is too rich in color and
>does not resemble  the original  paints which were  a bit more  flatter.
>Would like  to hear from the experts.

What color are you doing?  With a true original color you may want enamel
or laquer.  The two part will give a finish you'll be hard pressed to get
with original type paints.  Cost is another factor.  I have a TC with 10
year old Sikkens acrylic urethane base/clear coat paint.  It looks like it
was painted last week (it is pampered) and has a wet look that is not
original but gorgeous.  I also have a MGA with acrylic laquer OEW that is 5
years old and it has a patina that only comes with laquer but it doesn't
shine like the TC.

Both paint jobs are beautiful but the TC gets more compliments (it is red!)
For a driver or popular vote show car I would use the 2 part.  Another
factor is what system is your paint person most familar and comfortable
with.  He'll do a better job using something he likes.

You'll probably find as many opinions on paint as on cats!

Bob Skillman  47TC, 59MGA twin cam