Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>,
Subject: Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"
From: Ray McCrary <spook01@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 17:40:35 -0600
Larry,
I got your point....
I just happen to have looked in my auto encyclopedia and found several
examples of other 'wedgie' shapes (between turkey, potatoes, etc).
As far as the US commercial is concerned, it wasn't enough to arrest the
descent of the Titanic that TR sales had become.  Present cars are styled
more by the wind tunnel; hence the 'blob' shape that appears to try for
laminar flow of air.  Less CD, less power is required to push it through
the air, more fuel mileage.  I can't find any reference to the TR being
styled with heavy wind tunnel access, but it's possible (not very probable,
though, with Leylands' money trouble).
As far as the TR7 being a ground breaker, I think that it would be wise to
remember that SEVERAL other makers of that time had cars of ROUGHLY the
wedge shape on the boards. (In fact, I can think of one that had a VERY
pronounced wedgie in production.)
The TR7 was rushed into production (some say at the expense of MG <who also
had a wedge shape on the boards>), with many of the features that it was
originally intended to have missing or designed out to save money.
The 7, in short was not really that unique, failed due to lack of quality
early on, and was outsold by the B- a palsied shadow of the original car by
the mid-70's.
Hell, I have nothing against the people who want one...people collect
Edsels...but a cute ad campaign has nothing to do with "original concept".
Don't let this put you off buying late model...by the time they got the
hook at Leyland, they were OK cars, as long as you got the V-8 and didn't
get the plaid seats!
Regards, Ray

PS-Remember the uproar when the Midget sticker was appended to the AH
Sprite?  At least THAT was a good car...and a little 'badge engineering'
didn't hurt it!  A good design will carry on....