Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 12:00:25 -0700
I think what was being pointed out Re:  TR-7, shape of
things to come was:  X1/9, Fiero, MR2, loads of things
with prancing horses on 'em...

My fiancee is 19.  She thinks my cars are cool, loves the
Bugeye, agrees with my desire for an E-type, but the
TR-7 is the only one that looks "modern" to her eye.

It's strange how all you gotta do to stop the in-marque
bickering (TC vs A vs B) is say TR-7.  Then everyone
jumps on BLs "wonder" wedges case.  As car enthusiests,
we have to stick together (witness California SB46!).

The claimed problems with the TR-7.  Oooh, they rust.  And
MGs don't?  My TR-7 survived the rain soaked days of
Arkansas far better than anything I've got from
Abingdon.  The heads fail?  Try getting more HP out
a B-series engine and you can practically hear
the head cracking.  The gearboxes were weak?  And
that wonder in the A-series Midget was the best
thing to ever grace a sports car (not!).  A lot
of those old sports cars had a lot of problems.
There are ways to fix 'em on a TR-7 as well
as an MG.  Of course the '8 was a better car, but
then the thing was designed for that engine.
If more '8s had been built, or the standard
TR-7 had the sprint engine, I think things
might have been different.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just another
sports car.  A fun machine to be fixed, driven
hard until it breaks, and then fixed again.

-Keith Wheeler

Team Sanctuary