Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"

To: The Richards <smrm@coastalnet.com>
Subject: Re: How Triumph lost their underwear and got a "wedgie"
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 20:43:58 -0700
At 10:19 PM 11/28/97 -0500, Michael wrote:
>At 12:00 PM 11/28/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>I think what was being pointed out Re:  TR-7, shape of
>>things to come was:  X1/9, Fiero, MR2, loads of things
>>with prancing horses on 'em...
>
>Sorry, X1/9 (among others) predates tr-7

And postdates it.  The point of discussion in this thread
was the question of "the shape of things to come".  Some people
went straight from 1978 to 1997, skipping a few automotive
styles.  The X1/9 is quite representative of the "futuristic"
wedge shape.  Please note no where did I say the X1/9 predated
the TR-7.  Considering that we took a second place for the
year in an X1/9 for the '97 autox season, I am a slightly familiar
with that auto.

> it is a simple fact that the TR-7 had
>more warranty claims against it than any other BL product

So?  Your point is?

To paraphrase Donald Healy:  the enthusiests have rebuilt
these cars far better than the factory built 'em to begin
with.  ...and he was talking about Healy 3000s and the like.

The TR-8 was also the fastest BL built racer.  Simple fact.
And they made halfway decent rally cars.  Warrenty claims are
a sign of the horrible labor problems of the time, not whether
the car was a design failure.

> And it was UGLY, at least until the advent of the convertible,

A matter of opinion.  To me, an MG TC, while a really neat
car, looks like a bloody *old*toy*.  The TR-7/8 is just another
sports car.  It's not a supercar, but it's also not the
total failure a lot of people claim.  Once again, look at
the competition capabilities.  If your idea of sporting
machinery is something that looks like it was made 60 years
ago and can be outrun by a go-cart, have fun.  TR-8s still
are quite competitive in some forms of motorsport.

Car snobbery is so hilarious.  Everyone has to have someone
to pick on, in order to boost their own ego. This is exatly
the snobbery folks were complaining about, first attacking
a car then attacking those that like it and bringing class
arguments into the scene (i.e. Brady Bunch).

The trick is to have fun with your car, and I know a lot
of blokes that have a lot of fun with TR-7/8s.

(and if you don't like plaid, tear the damn seats out!
 I hate stock seats anyways, they don't have enough
 support for hard cornering.)

-Keith Wheeler

Team Sanctuary