Re: driving questions

To: Peter Landy <plandy@idt.net>, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: driving questions
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:23:24 -0500
Peter Landy wrote:
> I agree that most of the wear occurs during engine startups.  During
> shopping or other stop'n'go errands I leave the car running

  I don't think that makes sense.

  The wear occurs at startup because the engine isn't
lubricated. All the sitting has let the oil run off the
cylinder walls and out of the bearings.

  If you are only stopped for a few minutes, the oil doesn't
run anywhere, and the starting is not particularily harmful.

  I'd be willing to bet that the thousands of extra revs would
do a lot more wear from all that needless idling.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada