Re: Non-LBC: Why an MG?

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Non-LBC: Why an MG?
From: Chris Chandler <spawn@net-link.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 21:48:09 -0500
Peter Landy wrote:

> MGMagnette@aol.com wrote:
> >
> .......snip...........
> >   Again, I will pose the question I asked in my first letter.   Why are MGs
> > getting so damn expensive?  And if you can't question your own car, and are
> > totally blind to other cars, I don't want your answer.
> >   Not particularly safe, or fast,
>
> can get along with several brands of beer.  My advice, especially in
> your area to get a 4x4 with big V6 or small V8 as the primary
> transportation mode.

        Well, personally, I like an MG over the others mentioned because I
stumbled across this 1972 MGB rusting away in my landlords garage one
day, liked the thought of owning a convertible, and bought it the next
week (after talking the landlord into selling).  It's not perfect, but I
like it.  When I bought it, I knew nothing about cars... now I can do so
much it's amazing,  I can even disasssemble and reassemble (correctly)
twin SU carbs.  (Ya wanna talk about looking daunting to a newbie!!!).

        Next summer I'm going to attempt something I never would have dreamed
of five years ago... pulling an engine myself.  If that goes well, I
might even go so far as to attempt to rebuild it myself.

        As far as another... you bet!  If I get a chance.  Call me impractical,
but I like the little monsters.

        I wouldn't drive my MG in the winter, but you can bet that I drive it
until there's that cold white stuff on the ground (when it's running
<BG>).

        It'a a matter of preference.  As for why they're expensive... two
reasons:
1)  They're old   2)  They're popular

Regards
Chris