Re: MGB Seat Diaphragm

To: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>
Subject: Re: MGB Seat Diaphragm
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 1997 12:46:39 -0800 (PST)
Dear Nina

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Nina Barton wrote:

=%OSince I can't afford new upholstery right now and am tired of sitting on
=%Othe floor of my MGBGT, I decided to try and replace just the seat diaphragm
=%O(the black rubber model).  Anyone have any good ideas on how to stretch the
=%Orubber to fit (thought about heating, but have several of the hooks
=%Oattached already and don't want to put the whole seat in the oven), or ways
=%Oto make the rubber more pliable?  Or do I simply need to clone myself to
=%Oget the job done?  Thanks in advance.   Nina

I first put on safety glasses, attached the hooks on one side of the
diaphragm, clamped the seat frame in a workmate.atI left the rubber out in
the hot California sun for about 30 minutes. Then I attached the hooks on
the other side of the diaphragm  and clamped the free hooks in a big vise
grip pliers
(I think the Brits on the net would call this a mole wrench for some
reason- maybe they pinch the heads of the little insectivores with them)

so that I could apply maximum stretching force on the rubber. I then
pulled the hook in the vice grip so that I could fit it in the proper hole
in the seat  frame, one hook at a time until I was done. It wasn't too
hard, but I weigh 220 pounds and used to lift weights thus YMMV.

Good Luck!

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II