Re: Web rings - MGs needed!

To: Bill Harkins <bharkins@tfb.com>
Subject: Re: Web rings - MGs needed!
From: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 14:41:00 -0600 (CST)
Ok guys.  I am able to create a webring if you want.  All I need is an idea
of what you want.  Do you want one for all MGs (As, Bs, etc...), or do you
want one split up into different models?  I believe that putting them all
together will be the best course of action as it will boost numbers.

Also, does someone already have one created?  If so, we all need to know
about it, and how to join.  This will give higher visibility along with
higher numbers.  Ben, do you have an actual webring establised?  If so, what
is the URL?

I think that the best thing to really do is to put all models under one
webring. There's just not really a ton of sites out there related to one
particular model, but with all models under one webring will be a lot
better, and it will not leave anyone out.

If you all like, I will undertake this task.  Or if you, Ben, would like to
expand yours and continue ownership, you may.  Just let me know.  :)

Here are a few things from www.webring.org...two excerpts actually.

----------------
Managing your own Webring is not easy. If you have your own web page and
want to become involved with Webrings, the easiest way to do so is to join
an existing ring. To find a Webring that might be appropriate for your page,
take a look at Ring World, our online catalog of the Webrings.

If you're pretty sure you don't want to join an existing ring, there are a
few things that you should keep in mind:

1.Getting a ring started can be time consuming. Finding sites to join,
e-mailling them, and convincing them to do so takes time, and can be a bit
frustrating.
2.Being a ringmaster/ringmistress can be a lot of work, particularly when
your ring starts to grow.
3.Creating a good Webring requires a pretty solid understanding and ability
to use HTML. If you're just starting out on the web, creating a ring now is
probably not the best plan; it would probably be better to first join an
existing ring to gain an understanding of how the system works.

--------------------
So, saying this, I will include an excerpt from the webring website for
those who may need to be filled in on what a webring is.  :)

------------------
The Webring is a totally free service offered to the Internet community. We
are a quickly growing collection of homepages from all over the World who
are committed to creating a new kind of Web community.

The Webring provides the World Wide Web with a different way to organize web
sites. The Webring is a way to group together sites with similar content (or
any pages at all, if one so desires) by linking them together in a circle,
or ring.

-How does it work?

The idea is that once you are at one site in the webring, you can click on a
"Next" or "Previous" link to go to adjacent sites in the ring and--if you do
it long enough--end up where you started.

This is actually something you can do without the Webring system by simply
having each page owner link their site to the next. However, when somebody
wants to join the ring, someone has to edit their page to point to the new
page and--when the ring gets big enough--it becomes more and more difficult
to keep the ring "intact" when pages disappear and servers go down.

The Webring provides a solution to all of these problems, as well as
numerous enhancements. When you join a Webring, the HTML code on your
homepage never changes. Links point to a special CGI script at webring.org
that will send people to the next (or previous) site in the ring. Because
the central ring database is located in one location, sites can be added and
removed quickly and easily, and because the Webring CGI allows you go
continue past sites that are unreachable, you will always be able to
continue around the loop.

The Webring will do quite a few tricks, actually. People can travel a ring
in either direction, either jumping to (or skipping) the next site or
previous site, list the next five sites in the ring, jump to a random site
in the ring, or simply get a list of all pages in the loop. Furthermore, the
Webring system supports the operation of a virtually unlimited number of
separate and distinct rings, allowing the creation of thousands of different
"communities" on the web. And, best of all, the Webring is entirely free!

Well, let me know what you all think.  I am more than willing to go forward
with this if you all agree.  :)

Sincerely,

Blake Wylie
1970 MGB