Re: MG trip to England

To: dmeadow@juno.com, philip.raby@eos-magazine.com
Subject: Re: MG trip to England
From: Chris Nevard <spridgeteer@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 08:57:37 -0800 (PST)
Speckled Hen isn't a bad beer at all. The problem we have in this
country is that the landlord of the pub doesn't always understand Real
Ale. These beers, the ones from handpump or straight from the barrel
aren't pasturised which means that they 'go off' if not consumed
withing 3 to 4 days. The beers continue to *live* in the barrel
fermenting further (this is what creates the head and sparkle). It is
quite a skill for the landlord to know when the beer is ready to be
served at its best. Because of this aquired skill pubs owned by the
brewery are usually the best for sampling a good pint - the landlord
will know the brew better. Pubs with the largest selection of ales
will often have stale (warm / flat) beer 'cos they can't sell it in
time.

Chris

maybe going well off track (as usual)

---dmeadow@juno.com wrote:

> The word I got was to avoid Old Speckled Hen in favor of the many
better
> beers available.   Classic problem of "so many beers, so little
time."
> I didn't sample it myself.  YMMV.
>
> David Littlefield
> Houston, TX
>
> On Tue, 9 Dec 97 08:46:20 -0000 Philip Raby
> <philip.raby@eos-magazine.com> writes:
> >On 8/12/97 10:38 pm Chris Nevard said
> >
> >>Please don't do what alot of tourists do in London and carry your
> >>camcorder around your neck however - it looks daft and may attract
> >the
> >>wrong attention.
> >Sound advice from Chris there
> >>
> >>Do try the English ales (served by a tall hand pump) especially the
> >>ones from the smaller brewers . . . . .In London try Young's and
> >>Fullers (do not confuse with Younger's).
> >As you've probably gathered, Chris is a bit of a pisshead ;-) If you
> >get
> >near Oxford, do try a pint of Old Speckled Hen (hey, got an MG
mention
> >in
> >there!)
> >

> >Philip Raby
> >Editor, MG World
> >PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
> >Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
> >www.chp.ltd.uk

==
Chris Nevard

"ELECELLERATION  - The mistaken notion that the more you press an elevator
button, the faster it will arrive."

<http://www.mgcars.org/cambs.mgoc/images2/chris.jpg>
Work <nevardc@sky4.bskyb.com> Other <spridgeteer@yahoo.com>