Fan The Fire, Get Some Flames.

To: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Fan The Fire, Get Some Flames.
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 09:29:30 -0800 (PST)
First of all, Happy Holidays to everyone out there -

Now folks, this seems to be my week for pissing people off with my
postings.  I've been flamed by feminists for sexist joke postings, I've
been taken to task by irate hot rodders who feel that I've been
condescending to their collective inteligence and called an old geezer by
young people who feel that people my age ignore them at meets.

To set things straight:

I represent nobody's opinion but my own. Sometimes my visions are distorted
because I live in Southern California and the situation might be different
than it is in other parts of the world.  This is not to say that my
impressions are wrong - just not necessarrily the same as all over. Much as
I try to do in the print articles that I write, I try to make the reader
think about the subject - even if they feel that I'm wrong, out of touch,
or whatever, and I want them to think and respond. This is probably to my
financial detriment, but I find the general modern trend of letting the
advertising and PR flacks, hack out glowing articles about new SUVs and
house geezers waxing on about one-off exotics that only a retired
industrialist can afford, to be zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I don't care if readers love or hate what I say, as long as it makes them
think about it while they are reading the piece and hopefully think about
it later and maybe even discuss it with friends. Communication has come to
a time where it is considered useless until it can be used to sell
something.

We are presently ready to internationally celebrate the birthday of a guy
who, among a number of other things, threw the money changers out from in
front of the Temple!  Why can't we get them reduced to a workable level in
all forms of communication?  These digests are one of the only uncontrolled
forums left in the world and you can be sure that right now, as we read,
government analysts are looking for ways to tax and censor us and the money
changers are looking for ways to "get in on the action" and charge us or
sell us something. But hey, this is just my opinion and remember what they
did to the last fellow who questioned things too much.

1)  As for the sexist comedy; It was sent to me by a very liberated,
entrepreneurial woman, a website producer at that, who thought it funny
enough to forward to me. I guess I didn't have my Pig Meter on at the time
- how insensative of me! (an Alan Alda puppy face look would work well here
to show my empathy and sincerity!)

2)  I never said hot rodders are boneheads.  I just said that they
generally don't think much of LBCs and find them humourous at best. I guess
that I should have been qualified that with an "in Southern California,"
but at that, you have been left to make your own conclusions. A number of
LBCers from all over the US have e-mailed me directly about simular
situations of exclusion and mental torment. I used to be into rods and
customs and spent alot of time in that arena. In fact, I love rods,
customs, hell, even kit cars and still own a pair of 1969 Chevelles with
V8s, throbbing exhausts and ralley wheels. I also know when I'm being
relegated to the Peanut Gallery (an old geezer reference to the Howdy Doody
Show). After a few of these instances, you leave the MG home and start
bringing the Malibu. I know that my ragtop isn't as interesting as it would
be if it had a GMC 671 blower and a pair of Holley double pumpers jutting
through a hole in the bonnet but it at least doesn't inspire ridicule!

On the other hand, I cant sell articles on modified Britiron to ANYONE!
American rod magazines have that rodder mentality (see above) and think
anything other than an occational Ford Anglia/Thames van, street/strip
retrospective will scare away all of those folks who think LBCs are
"weird," and classic and Brit subject mags are afraid that a Brit based rod
will upset the purists. So scare and upset a few wankers and let the rest
of us absorb and process the information and images.

John Voelcker, a multiple LBC owner and website producer for Time/Warner
has been able to allow me the freedom to write pretty much what I want,
check out:

www.carsandculture.com

This is the Time/Warner produced website for Toyota. Look on the Carculture
channel and check out the Convertible and the Woody articles as well as the
pieces on Pebble Beach and the Monterey Historic Races. On the Cars & Kids
channel I did the pedal car article and I also did all of the Quizes on the
Game Time channel. Lots of LBC AND rod stuff there. Look at this pretty
soon because the editorial content will be filtered through Toyota
Advertising/Promotion people starting in April 1998. Damn Moneychangers!

3) Last but not least, My geezer friends and I do not ignore or distance
the kids (anyone under 30). I'm sorry for the ones that do as these younger
folks are the future of the hobby. Here are a few comments by Pat Bailey
who attended my LA area Woodley Park British meet:

"Went to Woodley Park yesterday and what a nice meet! There must have been
300 cars there all the way from beaters to Jay Leno's humongus 8 liter
Bentley! Leno talked a bit about how there weren't too many people under
40 in this hobby and was quite concerned that the hobby was pricing the
kids out. Jay seems to be a very nice guy and it was fun talking to
him. . . . . . . . . . I found no snobs here everyone was willing to talk
about their cars and the whole atmosphere was pleasant and "California
laid back" All in all a very nice day if you missed it go next year the
people who put it on do a great job." - - Pat

We still might be geezers (I kind of like to think that we are still in the
pre-geezer time of life as "middle age" only works if one anticipates
living to over a hundred!), but we're tolerant geezers.
Have a Happy Christmas and see YOU on the Funway!

Rick Feibusch - Venice, CA

Hi, I know this is unusual...

My brother has been bitten in some respect by the Austin/MG bug.

While driving home the other day he noticed a small oddly shaped pickup. It
has peeked his interest. But we know little about it.

Its a 1960, apparently Australian, A55 coupe pickup. 40k miles in good
condition. The hood ornament has wings on it similar to an MG. and MG on the
valve cover. And I think a 1500cc engine. Something about 1 of 700 made, used
as an outback vehicle. Why its in Vermont? got me.

I hope to get a digital picture in the next few days.

If there is a reference page or book or telephone contact that could help me
decipher what this is and its present/restored value. That would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks Again

Happy Holidays

Luke Naud