Re: Classic Cars- Pantera? Ford (NO LBC)

To: gofastmg@juno.com
Subject: Re: Classic Cars- Pantera? Ford (NO LBC)
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 01:52:48 +0000
> GAWD I just love stirring things up!!!!
>
> I'm sorry Dan, I just couldn't resist!  That sentence just cried out for
> a "bowtie" rejoinder and before I know it, ZAP! it was done
>  I'll make a confession, here though.  I was always the odd ball in the
> Chevy/Ford wars.  Just to keep everybody POed, I used to jump in on the
> side of Chrysler (Hemi's. 440 wedges, Slant 6's who cares)
>  My son (as advid a Chevy man as exists), has come up with the discussion
> stopper.
>  His question goes something like this.
>      " You are always hearing about the Chevy powered 19?? Ford rod, but
> when was the last time you heard of a Ford powered Chevy?
>   And in this neck of the woods, Ford powered anything, but Fords is
> about as scarce as bad Jack Daniels.
>
> Rick Morrison
> 72 MGBGT
> 74 Midget
Rick,
        I'm with you--just about any car line has its good engines.  The
Chrysler slant six is probably one of the most dependable engines
around.  Not sexy, but they'll run forever!
        As for the true comment that Ford-powered Chevy rods are rare, I've
always thought that didn't have as much to do with an inherent
"badness" in Ford engines or any inherent "goodness" in Chevy
engines.  I thought it had to do with the placement of things like
the distributor and the shape/location of the oil pan on the Chevy
engines being more favorable when it came to putting them in places
they weren't meant to go (Like 30's hot rods.)  On Ford cars where a
big V-8 was a factory option, you're less likely to see a Chevy
engine used in a restoration or hop-up.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com