Burnt exhaust valve test?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Burnt exhaust valve test?
From: Skye Poier <skye@jungle.direct.ca>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 16:16:29 -0800
Hullo,

While looking through the (excellent!) Motorhead catalogue I noticed an
interesting 'dollar bill' test:  take a bill and hold it against the exhaust
pipe while running and if its pulled against the pipe 'snap snap' then
you have incorrect valve timing or a burnt exhaust valve.  Seems reasonable,
if the exhaust valve is open when the piston starts down, it would draw air
back up the exhaust pipe. At least, thats my amateur speculation. Would the
air pump not supply enough air?

Is this a reliable method to use?  A lot simpler than a blowdown test
(although I'm inclined to believe not as accurate)

Skye

--
www.mgb.bc.ca