Re: Worst GM engine (no lbc)

To: gardner7@pilot.infi.net
Subject: Re: Worst GM engine (no lbc)
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 07:10:41 -0600
On Sun, 4 Jan 1998 18:44:26 +0000 "Scott Gardner"
<gardner7@pilot.infi.net> writes:
>> >how about the version of the "Iron Duke" 4-cylinder that went into
>> >the 1984 Fieros?
>>

>If I remember correctly, there wasn't anything intrinsically wrong
>with the engine that caused the failures.  I think it was something
>to do with the oiling system GM used when they decided to install it
>as a rear engine in the Fiero.  Whatever it was, a recall fixed it,
>so it couldn't have been too complicated.

Problem was if the oil level got low, then engine would overheat in its
very tight space in the mid-engined car.  During the mid-80's it was not
unusual to see burned up Fieros by the side of the road (I remember
seeing a couple).  I also talked to at least one Fiero owner that had had
three engines in his car, courtesy of the factory.  The car was killed by
its bad reputation and the fact that you couldn't get insurance for it!
Of course, the V6 version didn't have this problem, but by the time it
came out, it was too late.  If you were to buy the last year V6 version
you would have quite a little pocket rocket, with excellent handling.  It
took GM until the last year to finally dump the Chevette front suspension
for a system designed for the Fiero.

BTW, if you are going to name the worst GM Engine, the 4-6-8 V8 fitted
into some late 70's (?) Cadillac Sevilles has got to be a candidate.  It
was called the 4-6-8 because, depending upon engine load, it would only
operate on 4 or 6 cylinders (as on a highway, for example).  The idea was
to save fuel.  The engine was horribly unreliable, however, and was
quickly discontinued.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
David Littlefield