Re: Worst GM engine (no lbc)

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen), dmeadow@juno.com
Subject: Re: Worst GM engine (no lbc)
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 1998 13:36:43 -0600
Yes, I worked at a Caddy dealership in 83 and the 684 and the diesels were
littering the garage area always.

We would do block swaps on the diesels.  We'd get a new crated block from
the factory and take off all the external parts from the shot diesel and
put them on the new block and drop it in the car.  The shot block was
scored blue on all the internal parts.  Just burned up on the inside.
Never seen anything like it.  We'd tell the owner, see you in 15 - 30K
miles!  Thats when the 1 round of two rounds where we would replace the
head gaskets. Third time was the block swap.

What a riot!

The 684's just plain and simply never did work right.  Great idea though!

(My old boss always threatened to blow up the Caddy plant, he works for the
post office now.  J/K)

It either ran on 4 at idle and 8 any other time, if you were lucky.  The
idea was 4 at idle or costing down hill, 6 on the open road crusing or 4 at
zero to very low load and 8 at take off or heavy accelleration.

We constantly had people bringing their cars back for computer adjustments
and what not.  It just never worked.  It just never ever did work.

The HT4100 was just plain too small for the ole
cattle track.  The car was OK but the engine would
wear out before it's time.  Saw lots of those new crated motors.

Now I dont remember the exact year and model, but caddy also came out with
a HUGE V6 engine.  It was suprisingly strong, fast and I never knew if if
was worth spit or not.  Anyone rember any late 70's early 80's Caddies with
a big block V6?  Might have been a caddy on a Nova body if anyone is
familiar with that el switch a roo they pulled.

--
Jay Quinn - Business Systems Analyst
Personal Email: jpquinn@cyberramp.net