Re: 5 cylnder engines

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: 5 cylnder engines
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 10:17:41 -0500
Hello Adam:

The first 5 cylinder engine - to my knowledge - was used in a racing Honda
motorcycle in the mid sixties.  It was a 125cc engine which made use of the
components from Honda's 50cc machines.  What was really interesting was
that the center cylinder exhaust pipe was routed back and over the engine
while the others when off to the sides.

Audi has produced a 5 for many years now and Honda introduced one in the
early '90s. Mercedes has a 5 cylinder diesel.  Volvo currently uses a 5.  I
don't remember if there are any others, but I believe that the cycle Honda
was the first.

John McEwen