Re: MGB door hinges needed

To: tboicey@brit.ca
Subject: Re: MGB door hinges needed
From: "Murch, Paul" <murch@y-city.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 19:05:56 -0400
Tevor,

I don't want to cause a fight, but I do not think that the front fenders
are normally welded in place.

I have recently removed the fenders from both the car that I am working
on and a parts car.  They are not welded on in any way.  That is not
to say that they are easiy to remove.  To remove them the windshield
needs to come off which is easiest to do if the dash is off.  They are
bolted inside at the very top which requires the dash to be removed
anyway.

BUT, BUT, BUT.........

The fenders do not need to be removed.  To do this you would remove the
front wheel to give you room to get around.  Use jackstands etc, (lest
the list police complain).  There is an inner splash guard that has
4 or 5 bolts that needs to be removed.  This can be acomplished without
trouble from the wheel well.  When is is removed you have access to
the backside of the hinges.  It is 12 to 16 inches back there but there
is one nut per hinge.  I think that the nut is 11/16 inch.  You will
probably need every extention that you have to reach the nuts but it
can be done.

In my opinion the toughest part are the screws in the door jamb.  On
most every old car that I have worked on it seems like one of them has
had the head sripped out and I have to find a torch to heat the sucker
up.

I would think that you could find some used hinges for pretty cheap out
of a rusted car.  I don't think that they changed any over the years so
they should be available.

Paul Murch
65 B