Re: Transmission Leak

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: Transmission Leak
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:15:30 -0800 (PST)
At 10:00 PM 1/14/98 -0500, Jay wrote:

>Dan, this leak you speak of from the hole with cotter pin, is a drain hole
for the bellhousing of the transmission.  This would be where the clutch is
housed.  If this is the right spot, I have sorrow for you.
>I hate to break the news to you, but one of two things is occurring here.
Either your rear main oil seal has gone south and engine oil is coming by,
or the oil seal and/or gasket is shot on the transmission where the main
shaft(I think that's it) emerges from the tranny and into bellhousing.  If
the leaking is not too bad, I would think it would last some time, but
beware, oil and clutch discs and bearings do not mix well.
>Long term, this would mean pulling the engine to service the oil seals; and
while you're at it, grab a clutch set, and rebuild set for the slave
cylinder, as well as a new clevis pin a plunger for the cylinder.  I've done
this three times on my B(two cars), and this is the best way to do the job.
Also check the motor mounts and tranny mounts.

>Does everyone on the list agree with me here? Or did I just misdiagnose
this problem badly?

Bang on, Mate! The only thing I'd add would be for Dan not to worry about
the cotter pin ends hanging from the hole.  I THINK this is a clever way to
make sure te hole stays clear.  The vibration of the pin in the hole as the
car runs keeps it from becoming obstructed with a slurry of crud and LBC juice.

Ross