Re: Disk Wheels - MGA

To: rzc4@cdc.gov
Subject: Re: Disk Wheels - MGA
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:49:22 EST
On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:16:45 -0500 "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
writes:
>I've got a new set of tires ordered for my '59 MGA 1500 and want to
>restore the wheels before having them mounted.  These are the disk
>type
>- not wires.  There is a place here in town that will redo them for
>$400
>for 5 (count the spare).  When I asked just what I was getting - the
>fellow was rather obtuse.  Atlanta Import will do them for $75 per
>wheel.  My local radiator shop will hot tank and sand blast them for
>$15
>apiece.  I repaint.  A good part of these wheels will be covered by
>hubcaps.
>
>It sort of seems like a no-brainer (for $300+ they get dirty vs I get
>dirty) but have any of you had experience refinishing wheels and am I
>missing something here?  I've also got a gallon can of stripeze and a
>bag of coarse steel wool pads (I'm sort of tired of the skin on my
>hands
>anyway).  What sort of paint should I use if I do it myself?  Are
>there
>any tricks/pitfalls I need to be aware of?  It all seems pretty
>straightforward but I've a long history of being torpedoed by things
>that seemed straightforward.  Hints/suggestions will be appreciated.
>

>ralph cordell

Ralph. I think youre fairly safe with this one, it really IS
straightforward
(this would not be the case if they were wires - but they aint)
Rather than use the stripeze however i would recommend the
hot tank and sandblast - the sand is REALLY necessary to get the
paint (which by the time youve stripezed it is a gooey mess) out of the
crevices, especially if there is a joint in the wheel which as i recall
A wheels do have. and dont forget, wheels have two sides and
many many undulations. - betya they'd do all 5 for a monkey!
As to paint, Eastwood make excellent wheel paint but it is quite
pricey, last time i did some rostyles i just picked up a couple of
cans at the local auto-parts store - it was the right colour and is
still fine after 2 years and 8-9000 miles

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
72 roadster