RE: Disk Wheels - MGA

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Disk Wheels - MGA
From: Phil Vanner <pvanner@pclink.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:04:04 -0600
I have similar (if smaller) wheels on my '61 Midget and they had been =
painted red and were a mess when I got the car.=20

I had my tire shop dismount my old tires pull out the valve stems and I =
spent a Saturday afternoon scrubbing with steel wool, wire brushes, cats =
tongues, and anything else abrasive that came to hand until I had smooth =
bare metal. (I finished with 300 grit paper)  I primed with Rustoleum =
and painted them with two light coats of an "aluminum" color Rustoleum. =
I finished the visible side of the wheel with two additional coats of =
Moss's ridiculously expensive "wheel paint"   and the rest of the wheel =
with one coat of the same.   =20

I have a buddy with professionally blasted and painted wheels, and he's =
jealous. Cost me about $25 and they look good two years later.

Some on the list recommend baking your wheels for a few hours in an oven =
after painting and I would have liked to try it but there's a big meat =
cleaver on the counter next to the stove, so I didn't dare.  =20

Phil Vanner