Disk Wheels - MGA

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Disk Wheels - MGA
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:16:45 -0500
I've got a new set of tires ordered for my '59 MGA 1500 and want to
restore the wheels before having them mounted.  These are the disk type
- not wires.  There is a place here in town that will redo them for $400
for 5 (count the spare).  When I asked just what I was getting - the
fellow was rather obtuse.  Atlanta Import will do them for $75 per
wheel.  My local radiator shop will hot tank and sand blast them for $15
apiece.  I repaint.  A good part of these wheels will be covered by
hubcaps.

It sort of seems like a no-brainer (for $300+ they get dirty vs I get
dirty) but have any of you had experience refinishing wheels and am I
missing something here?  I've also got a gallon can of stripeze and a
bag of coarse steel wool pads (I'm sort of tired of the skin on my hands
anyway).  What sort of paint should I use if I do it myself?  Are there
any tricks/pitfalls I need to be aware of?  It all seems pretty
straightforward but I've a long history of being torpedoed by things
that seemed straightforward.  Hints/suggestions will be appreciated.

ralph cordell
'59 MGA
'84 Turbo Regal
'87 Grand National