Re: Lowering

To: peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu
Subject: Re: Lowering
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 20:27:15 +0000
> Dear Netters,
>
> I recently replaced the rear leaf springs on my 1970 MGB-GT with new
> stock GT springs. While I had the thing apart, I checked my lever
> shocks- they provided little resistance to movement and thus had little
> shock absorbing capability. My choices were to buy new/rebuilt lever
> shocks or try one of the conversions. I opted for the latter on the rear
> as it was MUCH cheaper than buying the lever shocks and I would still be
> able to go right back to the original stock situation within a couple of
> hours. At any rate, I installed new rebound straps and I think they may be
> too short. The rear end is only a couple of inches higher than it was with
> the old flat tired springs. It also may be that the straps stretch a bit
> over time giving a little more height in the back. I'm not that tall (5'
> 10" on a good day) and I find it hard to see clearly out of the back
> window unless I slouch down a bit from my most comfortable seating position
> as the rear end seems to be to still be a bit low. I've left the front end
> completely stock.
>
> Any of you care to comment on this?

I didn't think that the rebound strap was under tension with the car
just sitting still.  I thought that it only fully extended when the
car was rebounding from a bump.  As such, I don't think the length of
the strap would affect the height of the car when sitting still.  If
that was the case, and the strap was under tension at all times, they
would probably have a pretty short lifespan.
Scott