Lowering

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Lowering
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 12:10:58 EST
<<I was looking at the Moss catalog at the Monroe shock conversion. I was
wondering if the conversion would lower my 76 B. If so how much? Also are
there any ways to lower it more after installing the shocks? I want the lowest
possible drop for my car. I like my cars to handle on rails. I think that the
MGB will do this with a few mods. I plan to install a very strong front sway
bar because to tell the truth my grandmothers car has less body roll than my
B. >>

The only way to lower a rubber lipped B is to fit an earlier cross-member, and
even then you will end up with the earlier stock ride height.
I have seen so many people cut the springs, or somewhat more sensibly fit new
springs to their B to lower it, thus inducing a situation fraught with bump
steer and loss of feel.
If you just like the looks of a low rider B, go ahead and lower it. If you
want really good handling for competition, talk to a current racer or
autocrosser about the expensive and fundamental changes necessary for that
use. If you want good street handling, use an early cross member, fit about a
3/4" front sway bar, and save your money you'd spend on tube shocks by making
sure that the Armstrongs are in good shape. You can fit heavier valves to them
if you don't mind the stiff ride on the street.
Just don't think that a tube shock conversion will transform the car into a
slalom demon.

Bill S.