Re: MGF impressions/What is a sports car (Another long Post)

To: jack@lucent.com (Feldman, Jack (Jack))
Subject: Re: MGF impressions/What is a sports car (Another long Post)
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 12:06:23 -0500
You mentioned the price as $43,000, and a lot of that may be the duty
down there, but even without that, it's probably still a $30,000 -
$35,000 (US) sports car.  I think this is what disappoints me most about
the new MG.  I expect that the one coming to the US in a few years will
be in the same price range.

MG's were, traditionally, affordable sporting fun for those of us who
couldn't afford the 'fancy' sports cars.  Now, they're just another
'fancy' sports car.  There's nothing unique about it to make me want one
over any other sports car of comparable price, like the Z3 (which, at
least, is good looking).  I'm sure the MGF fans will flame me, but if I
can buy a Miata for $23,000, why should I buy an MGF?  Just because it's
an MG?  Granted, the Brits have said that you really have to drive one
to appreciate one, and that may be true, but, for that kind of money,
you don't want something that looks so, eh, 'blah' (for lack of a better
word).  Looks-wise, it's not exciting, or fun.  (Personally, I think
they should have Mike Satur design the next one - his F-One body kit is
SO cool).

I have nothing against more expensive sports cars (the Z3 again), as
long as they're worth the money.  Why would I want a car that you "have
to drive to appreciate", or "grows on you"?  I'm not even going to test
drive a car at a dealership if I don't think it'll look nice parked in
my driveway, especially a $30,000 - $35,000 car!  I won't pay that kind
of money and wait for it to grow on me.  Maybe it's an American thing,
or maybe I'm just cheap, but if the 'F is anything like the model they
plan to send to the US, they can keep it.  Is the MGF a 'real sportscar?
Maybe, but it's not a 'real' MG sportscar.

-Just one Yank's opinion-
-Fire extinguishers charged & ready-

-NORY
Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort