Re: Jingoism at its best

To: Nory@webtv.net
Subject: Re: Jingoism at its best
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 19:35:33 EST
Upside down flags are a world wide distress signal, so far as Naval
Ensigns are concerned.  The tradition goes back several centuries.

Some national flags are difficult to determine if they are upside down or
not, from a distance (the Union Jack is a good example), thus the flying
of a National flag inverted may be a sign of distress, or just a sign of
ignorance.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998 00:12:22 -0500 Nory@webtv.net (Nory) writes:
>Actually, flying Old Glory upside-down is, I believe, a distress
>signal.
>Rather than provoking animosity it may provoke assistance in response
>the SOS.
>
>Any Canadian military out there who may know if an upside-down
>Canadian
>flag is supposed to mean the same thing?
>
>-NORY
>Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found
>the
>ONLY problem.
>
> '74 Midget & '71 parts car
> '94 Ford Ranger
> '86 Ford Escort
> '89 Ford Probe
> '96 North American Shepherd
> Only 1 cat now (don't ask)
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/9101
>
>NEW Home Improvement Homepage:  http://www.angelfire.com/ny/nory

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]