RE: Frozen vacuum unit on dizzy

To: "'bk996@freenet.carleton.ca'" <bk996@freenet.carleton.ca>
Subject: RE: Frozen vacuum unit on dizzy
From: "Unger, Larry G" <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 1998 22:59:10 -0500
> bk996@freenet.carleton.ca [SMTP:bk996@freenet.carleton.ca] wrote:
>
> ***********************************
> Spring is springing and all my thoughts turn to the "A".  The
replacement
> vacuum unit for the dizzy has arrived and is crying to be installed.
Is
> this a difficult operation?  Is there anyone on the list that is
willing
> to send me some reasonably detailed instructions on the operation?

Eric,

The replacement is pretty straightforward ... perhaps a bit easier if
you have the dizzy removed.

"A flexible actuating link connects the diaphragm in the vacuum unit to
the moving contact breaker plate".
Remove the dizzy cap ... the actuating link looks like a spring with a
loop on the end ... this loop slips
over a post on the breaker plate ... disconnect the actuating link from
the breaker plate.

"To release the suction advance unit, remove the circlip, adjusting nut
and spring.  Withdraw the unit".
The circlip looks like a small piece of wire ... its wrapped around the
end of the threaded shaft that accepts
the micrometer adusting nut ... remove the circlip so that you can
remove the micrometer adujsting nut
from the shaft ... there is a spring behind the nut ... like all
springs, if your aren't careful it will launch
itself accross the room to some unknown location.

Once you have the actuating link disconnected and the micrometer nut
removed, you should be able to
pull the vacuum unit from the dizzy ... as the manuals state, assembly
is the reverse of the above ... ;^)

More then likely electrolysis will have reared its ugly head and the
micrometer adjusting nut (aluminum)
will be frozen to the shaft (steel) ...  last time I did this I was
impatient and actually snapped the
shaft trying to remove the micrometer nut ... not a big deal since the
unit was bad, but it does make it
a bit difficult to reuse the micrometer nut ...so, FYI Moss stocks the
micrometer nut, the spring, and I
believe the circlip.  I used some anti-seize compound on the micrometer
nut when I reassembled the unit.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII