Re: restoring Rosestyle wheels

To: jason.sawyer@ibm.net
Subject: Re: restoring Rosestyle wheels
From: gofastmg@juno.com (Rick Morrison)
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 1998 14:28:31 EST
On Sun, 01 Mar 1998 12:01:24 -0800 Jason Sawyer <jason.sawyer@ibm.net>
writes:
>I would like to sandblast and repaint the original Rosestyle wheels on
>my 79 MGB (and throw the generic white five stars across the street)
>
>Before I invest time and money, how can I find out if they are any
>good.
>I don't want to bother with them if there warped, or out of round,
>etc.
Take them to a friendly tire shop and have them mounted on the dynamic
(spin) balancer. It will tell you real quick of they are out.
Alternaivly, mount them on a front wheel. Mount a dial indicator so it
contacts the bead seat of the wheel. Turn slowley and watch for run out.
Remount the indicator to measure the rim edge. Check for run out. In
either case, run out should be less than .010"

>Also is the painting mask advertised in the catalogs a good idea?
No, you can do a much neater job with masking tape.
Rick Morrison
72 MGBGT
74 Midget

>Jason
>
>--
>"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and
>you miss all you are traveling for."  -Louis L'Amour

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]